A couple reminders and new announcements that I didn't want to let slide to end of month. Note that sometimes I may only post something to our FB page or Announcement on our website if it's not urgent.Get out and enjoy your trails!
1. Winter Trails Day. Reflections Lake Feb 15, 11am-3pm, put on by Alaskans for Palmer Hay Flats. http://apps.snowsports.org/wt/listing.cfm?PID=171
If you'd like to try xc skis, snowshoes, or ice skates, here's another opportunity to check out equipment and learn from others.
2. Shared Trails: Dog Safety Workshop Feb 17. 7pm, FSM#205 at Mat-Su College. This has to do with trap safety along trails. This looks useful even for your own personal safety, not just your pets. Put on by Alaska Trappers and ADF&G.
3. ADF&G and Alaskans for Palmer Hay Flats are putting on Wildlife Wednesdays. Last Wed of month through May, Mat-Su college. 7pm. The presenters for each week are listed in this announcement. These include native history as well as wildlife research. Should be some interesting presentations.
4. Statewide Trails Conference April 24-26 at APU put on by Alaska Trails. These conferences are always really great for learning and networking about trails. Schedule and registration are at
5. Crevasse-Moraine and other master plans are coming before the assembly on March 4.
This is a courtesy notice regarding three recreational master plans that are now moving forward for approval:
The plans have been unanimously approved by the MSB Parks, Recreation, and Trails Advisory Board, and also the Planning Commission. The final step is the Mat-Su Borough Assembly:
Tuesday, February 18, 2014; INTRODUCTION – (this is not a public hearing, so attending is not necessary).
Tuesday, March 4, 2014: PUBLIC HEARING at the New Assembly Chambers at the Mat-Su Borough Building in Palmer (350 E. Dahlia Ave., Palmer)
The meeting starts at 6:00 pm although other issues are on the agenda prior. The agenda and packet will be online: http://www.matsugov.us/assembly/meetings-agendas-and-minutes
Public input, support, and testimony are welcome – 3 minutes is allowed per person (please sign-up when you arrive)
Also, feel free to submit comments to your Assembly members by phone, email, or letter: http://www.matsugov.us/assembly/meetings-agendas-and-minutes
Thanks again to everyone who provided time and input in support of these draft plans.
Sara Wilson Doyle
Planning & Public Involvement
351 W. Parks Highway, Suite 200
Wasilla, Alaska 99654
6. Trail conditions are likely icy in many places. I've heard the CMT ski trails were groomed (ground the ice up and resurfaced), but have not been out there myself to check them. (Lazy Mtn ski trails were in great shape for running today, so I suspect CMT may be the same.) Feel free to share trail conditions on our FB page.